Skip to Content

Scientific Associate of

icsu

ICO Awards

Affiliated Commission of

Optics in Indonesia: ISPhOA to be held in 2016

January 2016 Number 106


 Previous articles


 

Optics in Indonesia: ISPhOA to be held in 2016

The 1st International Seminar on Photonics, Optics, and its Applications in Bali.

 
 Participants in ISPhOA 2014.

The first International Seminar on Photonics, Optics, and its Applications (ISPhOA 2014) was held 14–15 October, 2014, at the Sanur Paradise Hotel, Sanur, Bali. It was the first international scientific event to be organized by the Department of Engineering Physics – FTI, the Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember (ITS), Surabaya, Indonesia. As a debut, the organizing of this scientific event was regarded as a big success, and the organizer decided then to make it a biannual scientific event that will be held in even-numbered years. As it was started in year 2014, the second ISPhOA will be held in 2016.

Malaysia, Korea, India, Australia, New Zea- The seminar gathered contributions from 11 invited speakers from ASEAN countries (Indo- nesia, Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand), Europe (Germany, UK), Australia, and USA. In addition to the invited papers, 42 contrib- uted papers were accepted for presentation – 55% of them were contributed nationally from universities and research centers related to optics and photonics; the remaining 45% were contributed from overseas, i.e., from China, Malaysia, Korea, India, Australia, New Zealand, and Germany.

 
 Prof. Jutamulia (right) and the 3rd Vice Rector of ITS (left).

The proceedings of ISPhOA 2014 have been published by the SPIE as Volume 9444 of the Proceedings of SPIE, and OSA and SPIE student chapters have been established at the Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember (ITS) Surabaya. Their activities have already been stimulating wider interest among ITS’s students and students at schools in Surabaya as well as in the neighboring cities and provinces. Members of the chapters are very active and enthusiastic in promoting optics and photonics.

Researchers were also successful in establishing the Optical Society (OSA) Indonesia Section. Aulia Nasution, its first appointed President, is leading the formulation of programs for this local section. He acknowledges ICO endorsement and support for ISPhOA, thanks to which, the conference was organized successfully. In particular he acknowledges the kind advice and guidance from the ICO Associate Secretary, Gert von Bally, which he considers to be beneficial for him and other officers to organize and run the local section well.

 
 Cultural act during the Gala Dinner of ISPhOA 2014.