Rules and Code of Practice
6 - ICO Committees:
List of ICO Committees:
In order to assist the General Meeting and the Bureau in their activities, ICO has established the following committees:
* Nominating Committee
* Long Range Planning Committee
* Committee for the Regional Development of Optics
* Education Committee
* Travelling Lecturer Committee
* ICO Prize Committee
* ICO Galileo Galilei Award Committee
* ICO/ICTP Gallieno Denardo Award Committee
* IUPAP Young Scientist Prize in Optics Committee
Duties of the committees:
The specific purpose of each committee is indicated below. Committees report on their activity at each General Meeting and, as appropriate, at each meeting of the Bureau.
* The purpose of the Nominating Committee is to coordinate the elections of the Bureau.
* The purpose of the Long Range Planning Committee is to propose suitable new actions for ICO, with suitable attention for the inclusion of industrial optics in ICO's activities.
* The purpose of the Committee for the Regional Development of Optics is to find and implement actions whereby ICO can promote the transfer of optical knowledge and provide practical help to optical scientists and engineers in Developing Nations and in general, geographical areas where optics is not well developed.
* The purpose of the Education Committee is to promote education in Optics worldwide.
* The purpose of the Travelling Lecturer Programme Committee is indicated in section 7 below.
* The purpose of the Standards Committee is to serve as a channel of communication for work on standards in optics, in relation with ISO.
* The purpose of the ICO Prize Committee is indicated in section 9 below.
* The purpose of the ICO Galileo Galilei Award Committee is indicated in section 10 below.
* The purpose of the ICO/ICTP Gallieno Denardo Award Committee is indicated in section 11 below.
* The purpose of the IUPAP Young Scientist Prize in Optics Committee is indicated in section 12 below.
Membership of the Committees:
Each committee has a chairperson and members. The following rules apply:
a) The chairperson of all ICO committees is always a member of the ICO Bureau.
b) The ICO past-President is ex officio the chairperson of the Nominating Committee and the members are appointed by the chairperson.
c) The ICO President is ex officio the chairperson of the long range planning Committee and the members are appointed by the chairperson.
d) The ICO Treasurer is ex officio the chairperson of the Travelling Lecturer Committee.
e) The ICO Secretary or Associate Secretary is ex officio member of all Committees except the Nominating Committee, the Long Range Planning Committee and the ICO Prize Committee.
f) Except for the cases of rules b, c, and e above, the members are proposed by the chairperson and appointed by the Bureau. To avoid delays in the operation of Committees, the appointment of members by the Bureau can be made by mail.